Thursday, February 28, 2013

Carry Me Home




Tell me a story, Daddy
Tell me of castles and keeps.
Read to me of heaven and wonder
Of dragons and princes,
Of lost golden treasures,
Of elves and wishes,
And magical kisses.
Please,
Stay until I fall asleep.

Fairytales and bedtime stories
Sleep in soothing lullabies.
Sing in the land of Ever Afters,
And laugh in the Once Upon a Time.

I’m all grown up now, Daddy
I’d rather read all on my own.
Thanks for the time and the stories
The nights at my side,
Descriptions and glory,
We laughed and we cried.
I’m kind of sorry but please,
Dad, I can do it alone.

Fairytales and bedtime stories
Sleep in soothing lullabies.
Sing in the land of Ever Afters,
And laugh in the Once Upon a Time.


Now that I’m forty, Daddy,
I miss your deep rumble tones.
Read once more of kings and their queens,
Of ivory towers
And twinkle-star dreams,
Enchanted potions,
And mythical things.
Please,
Let your love carry me home.

Fairytales and bedtime stories
Sleep in soothing lullabies.
Sing in the land of Ever Afters,
And laugh in the Once Upon a Time.

I wrote this poem several years ago.  I even turned it into a song, a lullaby for my dad.  It's kind of autobiographical.  I know it's not great literature, but I like the images. I like the idea of singing and laughing in magical places, of sleeping inside of lullabies.  I've always loved fairytales.  I've always found sanctuary in lands of make-believe.  As long as I can remember, I've read stories about lost kingdoms, myths and legends, and shadowlands.  

I think of my dad because of his voice.  I remember laying my head on his chest and feeling the vibration of it when he spoke.  It was thunder-rumbly and came from deep inside.  It was the perfect voice for stories.  

There are three verses.  The first is that memory of childhood and dependence.  The second is all about letting go.  The final verse is saudade - longing for the comfort of childhood.  I am constantly amazed at how my life and feelings in this world, become writings of God's plan.  How amazing is He, who can use me this way...   My life - in a nutshell - childhood with God, vibrating His love to me through stories.  Then my independence from Him - leaving, even with regret, because I thought I could do it alone.  Finally, letting His love carry me home - to Him.  

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
Luke 15: 20

Thank you, God,  for never abandoning us, even through our pride and willfulness.  Thank you, for your steadfast love, and for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.