Friday, December 11, 2015

Reflect


Welcome to my little corner of the Five-Minute Friday community, where a group of dedicated bloggers link themselves with Kate Motaung and engage with a word prompt for five minutes... Just five. No editing, no revising - just a five-minute thought stream....

Today's prompt is... REFLECT.

GO --

We study light in fifth grade, reflection, refraction, and absorption. It's amazingly mathematical, the movement of light, bouncing off of surfaces at the same angle it bounced on (hmm...can you bounce ON to something?). Transmitting through objects and surfaces; emerging changed in predictable ways. Waves of light, measureable by height, amplitude, and length.  Resonating, vibrating. In synch and absorbed, never to be seen again, and out of synch - changed. There's science here. And numbers. Equations -- open and shut, done and done. Electromagnetic radiation -- those are the lightwaves -- the length determines the frequency which determines visibility. And here's the cool thing. Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there (yes, double negative intended).

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
Genesis 1:3 (ESV)

Science and math can explain what it is and how it works. And the explanations are logical and satisfying. Opened and closed. Like visible light. Now you see it - it's easy to believe it.

And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 
John 12:44-46 (ESV)

Not equation. No numbers. Not open and shut, not done and done.

Jesus as light.

Reflecting from us, in acts of kindness, in compassion, in loving one another as He loves us...

Transmitting through us - our attitudes changed by Him, choosing joy, choosing belief, choosing hope...

Absorbed inside of us - Holy Spirit cocooned in our hearts, never to leave, dependable and steadfast...

Out of the darkness. Jesus.

And today - I leave you with a quote for our world - 

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; 
only light can do that. 
Hate cannot drive out hate; 
only love can do that.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

6 comments:

  1. God is light in this dark world. My FMF response was more about the self reflection but I prefer to focus on the reflection of God's love through self to the world. Thank you for sharing this perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on a post that would fit into focusing on the reflection of God's love through self to the world. Sometimes I write/think myself into corners and have to sit on the writing for a while - while God works on me to work it all out, I guess. I'm glad you could visit today, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. You've capture a few of my favorites here, the quote from MLK is just one of the best quotes ever and that "out of the darkness Jesus". Oh yes! You said it so well. I like that math and science play their parts though they are parts I'll leave to minds like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby - science and the bible don't have to be at odds. I love to reflect on God's amazing creation... through whatever means! (See how I cleverly inserted our word again... eyes rolling!) Minds like mine - HA! Notice that I only talked about the science at the fifth-grade level, right? The MLK quote showed up in my sister's feed on FB the other day - her response to all of the politics lately. I love it, too. I'm glad you could stop by and share today. Hugs for your weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love that MLK Jr. Quote! Important words for the world to hear, read and act upon. Great post. "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Tara - and words SO meaningful lately. As is your quote - it gives me chills '...and the darkness did not overcome it....' Thanks for your visit - I am always thankful to see your name on my feed! Prayers and hugs for all you're going through lately - you are an inspiration.

      Delete

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.