Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Crochet and Creation





This is crochet.  These are pictures from a hoodie I made for my niece's baby girl.  One of the attributes of crochet that I find fascinating is the variety of stitches and patterns that can be made.  I especially like the textural look and feel of crocheted cables - the Aran look.  It involves something called front and back posting - skipping some stitches and then coming back to them from the front or the back.  The cables are literally twined relief stitches - they actually go behind and in front of each other.  Cool, huh?  If you're interested in the pattern, you can find it here.

But there's more.  It has to do with the making.  It satisfies me.  So, what's so satisfying about crochet?

Crochet is a process of creating fabric from yarn, thread, or other material strands using a crochet hook.  The word is drived from the French word "crochet", meaning hook.  Hooks can be made of materials such as metals, woods or plastic and are commercially manufactured as well as produced by artisans.  Crocheting, like knitting, consists of pulling loops through other loops, but additionally incorporates wrapping the working material around the hook one or more times. Crochet differs from knitting in that only one stitch is active at one time (exceptions being Tunisian crochet and broomstick lace), stitches made with the same diameter of yarn are comparably taller, and a single crochet hook is used instead of two knitting needles.  Additionally, crochet has its own system of symbols to represent stitch types.
                                                                                                                      (Wikipedia) 

So, I guess you aren't actually making something from nothing - you need a hook and you need some yarn.  (Actually, hooks aren't always necessary, either.  I've seen some beautiful crochet done using the hand and arms as a hook.)  The point is, though, that creating a product fills an empty spot in my being.  I suppose it always has.  I like to draw.  I like to cook.  I write.  As I sit here, I think part of the satisfaction I get from writing lesson plans for my students is in the actual creation of the lessons.  

Imagine, then, how God feels.  He created this world and all that is in it from out of the void.  He made something from nothing.  He is the ultimate Creator.  He created us - in His image.  I'm thinking that he created that empty spot in us, as well.  He wants to share the satisfaction of creation with us.  


In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth....God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.
Genesis 1

Thank you, God, for Creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.