Wednesday, August 13, 2014

It is God



But I, God, search the heart and examine the mind. I get to the heart of the human. 
I get to the root of things. I treat them as they really are, not as they pretend to be.
Jeremiah 17:10 (Message)

We are standing together, shoulder to shoulder with friends and strangers.  The lights are low.  I see people in silhouette, arms raised to the ceiling, faces upturned.  Like black cutouts against a luminous stage, I see their bodies sway in time to the music.  The music is what we came for, my daughter and I.  Just the girls.  A Christian concert at a local church.  Some friends invited us.

My daughter.  I glance sideways to see how she’s doing, to see how she is navigating this sea of emotion, to see if her head is above the spiritual waters.  This image is frozen like a snapshot on my brain.  Eyes closed, face tilted in the dark slightly raised hands in front, palms up to receive.  I think about her.  This daughter.  This blessing.  I wonder if she understands that this is worship.  This is praise.  I wonder if she is copying the hands of others.  She is, after all, a concrete girl and this… this is an ocean of abstract.

“Sierra,” I bend down and whisper, “what are you doing with your hands?”

She opens her eyes and I think I can see straight into her soul.  I don’t remember these depths, these layers.  I think I don’t know this girl.  I see complication, and understanding, and compassion.  I see abstract.  I see clear eyes full of wisdom.  I see an old soul in my daughter with Down Syndrome.

“It is God, Mommy,” and she raises her hands higher for me to see.

Oh God of the Universe, Help us to open our hands and our hearts to receive you.
Help us to be your hands in this broken world.

6 comments:

  1. May we all learn from Janet - hearts and hands open & reaching for our God. In simplicity, we find the profound. May He continue to work in & through Sierra's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne - I am blessed beyond measure because of the things my daughter shows me. One of the things I've learned is there is profound in simplicity. I agree - may he continue to work in and through Sierra's life. Thank you for your insight.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us, Janet, the beautiful faith of your daughter's, and the things she teaches you. As Joanne wrote, may we all learn from her. Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been writing about the things my daughter has taught me. I think her faith comes from deep, and yes, I think she's here to teach... Thanks for visiting - I hope Drake is doing well...

      Delete
  3. Oh, be still my soul! What a beautiful gift of vision God gave your daughter, and then your daughter gave to you. I'm so glad I popped over to be touched here, Janet. Thank you for giving this intimate worship moment also to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ask her what she's doing anymore... Yes, God is full of surprising gifts, isn't he? I'm glad you came by; your encouraging words are also a gift.

      Delete

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.