Monday, February 2, 2015

The Many Faces of Snow



I woke to snow falling this morning.  Again.  Flakes were almost indiscernible in the gray before light, calling to mind a mist or fog.  Tiny drops falling fast and straight.  Tiny snow, barely knitting together a blanket to cover the old, ice-capped drifts, the old accumulation.  But as the grayness slid to morning, the snow mist changed.  From fast falling to gentle swirling, from drops to flakes,  And the blanket grew deeper, covering more, softening edges and muffling the world.




Last week, there were domed caps of ice, like skullcaps, on the hills and mounds outside my window.  I have never lived in a place that stays frozen for so long, where the snow doesn’t melt between fallings. 

Yesterday was the coldest day of the year, so far.  New snow had fallen during the darkness of night and in the frigid sunlight, it lay like a diamond veil over the landscape.  An unsullied bride, a sparkling treasure, crisp and white and clean.




Today, more snow.  And wind.  Arctic temperatures, the news reports. 

There is beauty in this landscape.  Harsh and tender.  My thoughts wander from what I see to what is, from literal to figurative.  I don’t love the snow, but I am fascinated by what I learn from it.

Snow covers.  It makes new.  It softens rough edges.  It redeems the brown landscape of winter, it awakens beauty.  I understand this.  Jesus Christ is snow.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:
The old has gone, the new is here!
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

Wind sculpts.  Like a potter with clay.  It drives the snow into drifts, deep places and shelters.  It tears the snow from the ground, leaving ragged scars of dirt and broken grass.  It creates swirled landscapes of ridges and dunes, terrible and beautiful.  I understand this, too.  God is wind.

Yet you, Lord, are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.
Isaiah 64:8 (NIV)


I woke to snow falling this morning.  Again.  It is well with my soul.

Linking with Naomi and Kelly, and Jen

6 comments:

  1. "It redeems the brown landscape of winter," - I have found this to be true. Although not a huge fan of winter, but a few years ago we had next to no snow and spent months looking at the harsh brown landscape. I definitely prefer the looks of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of winter, either - especially this year (our first in the 'North country') In fact, this post is my way of fixing my attitude - instead of 'Ugh! More snow!', I can see grace. Instead of 'This wind is killing me', I can say 'it's like God, sculpting me..." I am glad you could come and visit! Here's hoping you have the perfect amount of snow this year. Janet

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, Janet. Isn't it a gift how nature speaks to us when we wait and listen. Thanks for linking to #SmallWonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly, and thank you for hosting #Small Wonder. I like looking for wonder and joy - it keeps me sane. Yes, the world is full of gifts...

      Delete
  3. Snow...made new...Jesus. What a beautiful connection! Visiting from #SmallWonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said his joy was in us - we just need to find it, right? I don't always love snow, or wind, or cold - they're inconvenient and uncomfortable... I have to remind myself of the joy and wonder. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.