Friday, September 2, 2016

The Right Path



I don't like bugs. Creepy, crawly, squishy, leg-gy, no see-ums. Yet I'm kind of fascinated by them. By their industry, their sense of purpose, their amazing super-powers of strength and agility.

So, about mid-summer, before the drought up here in the North Country really hit, I was out by the field taking pictures of the newest plants and colors. Believe it or not, I'd never seen chicory before - bright blue flower on spindly stems, standing tall above the lawn, and popping out of the borders of tall prairie grass.

I bent down low and pulled the camera lens out so I could see through the viewfinder. I wanted to fill the screen with blue. And I did. Filled it with blue and bugs. Two different kinds as far as I could distinguish. Shepherds and sheep, I've been told.

Which brings me to my point.

The Lord is my shepherd; 
I shall not want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

God reminds us all the time, every day, that He loves us, that He will always care for us, that He has a plan for us, and that His plan is to lead us back to Him; it places us on the right path to Him. 

The things of nature remind me of Him. It's one of the reasons I take pictures. The camera allows me to see the world differently, detailed, color-saturated, and focused. Simple things become beauty, or become metaphor. Beautiful blue flowers in the field remind me of Him. Even when they're filled with bugs - after all, I don't have to understand His purpose for the little critters - for a second they brought to mind one of my favorite scriptures. 

That's not an altogether bad purpose.


Linking with Kate and the gang at Five-Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. I don't like bugs either. The creepy crawly ones freak me out, like spiders. Sometimes I'm even afraid of butterflies when one stops by to sit down with me for awhile. I've had this happen twice and am always mystified by how when I jump, it doesn't fly away. Just continues to sit and randomly show me it's wings.


    Thank you for the scripture too. I needed the reminder that God has a plan and He will take care of everything and get all the glory ☺️

    We're neighbors on fmf. ❤️
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      Spiders are the worst! Butterflies, on the other hand, beautiful until you get really close, then they're just plain weird, like aliens... Isn't our God an amazing creator? I'm glad you could visit. There are definitely times when I wish I knew more of what was in store....but not knowing is probably part of His plan, too. Big sigh... That's why we have faith, right? I hope you have a wonderful holiday - stay safe!

      Delete

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.