Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tornado



But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
Micah 7:7


Alive
A dog
Thank God
In the rubble
Sticks and stones
Once-homes
Once-trees
Strewn

Gone
Gone
Gone
Gone

Stunned
Lost and found
Tears and laughter
Litter the neighborhood
Stepping through debris
You're on the news
Child in your arms
Lovingly

Oh God!
Oh God!
Oh God!
Oh God!

It strode.
Destruction.
Seething wind
Twisting through the landscape
Hug from my daughter
With my safe coffee
In my safe kitchen
I weep

God in the ashes.  God in the rubble.  God in the aftermath.  God in the storm.  God in the wind and the rain.  God in the arms of the rescuers.  God in the eyes of the victims.  God in the frantic, the impatience, the waiting.  God in the comfort of strangers.  God in the morning light.  God on the earth; God in the heavens.  

Heavenly Father, I can only imagine what the night was like for these people in Oklahoma.  I can only imagine the fear, the helplessness, the worry - the fierce sense of family - the preciousness of life, the sense of loss.  Oh Father God, help them.  Comfort and strengthen them in these hours as well as in the days, weeks, and months ahead.  Infuse them with hope.  Hold them in your hand.  Let us, who watch from the safety of our homes and kitchens, let us love them.  Help us all to build each other up.  Guide us.  You have blessed us in so many ways - help us to be blessings to others.  Father, I ask this in the name of your precious Son, Jesus.  Amen.


1 comment:

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.