Friday, August 28, 2015

We Don't Have to Be Alone





A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:34-35 (NIV)


We don't have to be alone.

I'll say it again, we don't have to be alone. Not in the deepest parts of ourselves. Not in our tears, our anger, our sadness. Definitely not in our happiness or our joy.

We don't have to see children playing alone, eating alone, watching and following others with wistful eyes and hands hanging like empty husks.

We don't have to be alone in our burdens, our work, our worries.

We don't have to be alone in our aging -- as ears and eyes grow old and tired, when hearing and seeing, and just plain getting around becomes difficult or impossible. We don't have to be alone.

We don't have to be alone in our intellect. Greater gifts bring greater responsibility, not to isolate in communities of ivory tower idealism and peer-reviewed publications. Not to entitle, but to get real in conversation and problem-solving, to bless in compassion and kindness.

We don't have to be alone in our differences, but can build fellowship in our similarities.

We don't have to be alone.

Linking with FiveMinuteFriday

10 comments:

  1. I love this! Wonderful message to start the day. Your FMF neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabrina - My daughter and I just came back from a trip to visit family - really to 'stand beside' an ill family member. It got me thinking of all the ways people can become isolated from community. And I keep thinking that in each circumstance - we can stand beside them (at the very least, right?) I'm glad you could visit. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  2. Janet, it is SO easy to become isolated. I work a full-time job FROM HOME. It is not unusual for me not to leave our home even once M-F. And, then at times I don't want to leave even on Saturday...I have to really keep myself in check. Thanks for visiting me this morning. Good to be your FMF neighbor today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I think I'd love a full-time work from home job. I can totally understand not going out all week. But you're right, we need to keep ourselves in check. I don't believe we were made for isolation. Truthfully, I was thinking about how isolated some people are even in the midst of others. I want to learn to stand alongside better - to offer presence and in that presence, comfort and acceptance. I'm glad you decided to visit back.

      Delete
  3. We indeed don't have to be alone. In fact, in Christ, we are never alone. I'm parked in the #9 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara - We aren't alone - in Christ, but I think we also need to stand beside each other as well. I think we were made to be part of a whole, and alone just doesn't cut it. I especially feel for those who don't necessarily choose to be alone, but are. I want to be able to get over my own fears, to stand beside them. I think that's part of loving our neighbors, don't you? I hope you have a great weekend; I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  4. "We don't have to be alone in our intellect. Greater gifts bring greater responsibility, not to isolate in communities of ivory tower idealism and peer-reviewed publications. Not to entitle, but to get real in conversation and problem-solving, to bless in compassion and kindness."

    My favorite part of this post. My brain has always been bigger than my heart in the sense that I am quite comfortable in that ivory tower, thinking deep thoughts. But I can't camp there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I , for one, love to read those thoughts from your ivory tower. But no, it's not a place to live. I wrote that paragraph for my Dad - still one of the most intelligent people I know, at 86, but sometimes a difficult conversationalist. He thinks so far in the abstract that he misses how often his opinions step on the feelings and emotions of those around him. I don't see you in that kind of light - you seem to have succeeded in combining the gift of intellect with real compassion and understanding. I appreciate your comment and hope you have a peace-filled weekend.

      Delete
  5. Janet, Clear, profound, and powerful. We don't have to be alone. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging thoughts, Debbie. They are appreciated.

      Delete

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.