Friday, August 30, 2013

You Are



Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, 
and all that is in them, saying: 
"To him who sits on the throne 
and to the Lamb 
be praise and honor 
and glory and power, 
for ever and ever!"
Revelations 5:13

I am looking out of my office window at the green, green grass, and the green, green trees.  At the house across the road, down the hill of my front yard, with its white siding and black shutters, its red-brick chimney and front porch.  We found a beautiful setting when we bought this home a month and a half ago.  And I'm thinking about the word "worship", and I'm thinking that this beauty around me inspires worship.  Because it came, ultimately, from God our Creator.

Who also created my daughter.  She came down from her room this morning with eyes full of sleep and hair in casual disarray, one leg of her bike-shorts/pajamas up and one leg down.  She walked straight to me and gave me a good morning hug.  Isn't it worship when I whisper 'thank-you' for this gift.  This hug.  This daughter.  This morning.

Isn't it worship when I go to chapel on the largest army post in the lower forty-eight, and see the big, the tall, the young, the strong - in uniform - raising their arms and faces to God in praise.  I see the families of those deployed, in community, supporting each other through the missing, through the struggles.  When I can feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in our midst?

Isn't it worship when I witness the kindness of a young man who took my daughter through the complications and excitement of her graduation ceremony.  His graduation ceremony.  But he was thinking of her, not himself.  A young man, child of God.

Is it worship when a single drop of dew on a single blade of grass sparkles with the light of a thousand diamonds?  When the glorious color of a weed in the grass raises its yellow spikes to heaven?

Is it worship when the sun rises and sets, the stars spin in the sky, and the universe parades it's glory?  Glory to it's Maker?

Isn't it worship when our thoughts, all that we are, all that exists - water and rain, grass and trees, flowers, even the dust in the air - when we all raise our collective hands, our very selves in praise and thanksgiving to God?  When we dance.  When we sing.  When we cry.  All worship to God who made us, to God who loves us, to God who molds us.  To God who knows us and holds us close in his own hands.

Reverence and awe.  Large and small.  Inside and outside.  Beginning and end.  Worship.

Father, Lord, Creator, King - thank you for all that you are.  
You are amazing.  You are awesome.  
You are.

Linking with Five Minute Friday

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Love your color descriptions too, your written picture is refreshing to one surrounded by brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Thank you! I know brown, too; my husband and I grew up and met in Arizona - AND we lived five years in Central Texas... Maybe that's why this green fills me with worship!
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the descriptions of how God touches your life and how you honor him by being thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shana.
      When I think about honoring God I think about that song:
      "Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
      Will I dance for you, Jesus, or in awe of you be still
      Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
      Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
      I can only imagine"
      That's what worship feels like to me - I can only imagine...
      Janet

      Delete
  4. Hi Janet! What a loving reflection on worship. I love the description of your house in the quiet morning, and the greeting of your daughter. What a lovely heart you have!

    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil,
      Thank you for stopping by again - I really love this encouraging blog-community - and I always look forward to your comments. I know how many other wonderful posts are out there and I really appreciate you reading mine. Yes, we feel very blessed in this house - I never thought we'd live in such a beautiful place... thank-you God! And my daughter - those sweet morning hugs are the best! I hope you have a safe and joy-filled weekend!
      Janet

      Delete
  5. Dear Janet
    Yes, life becomes a sanctuary when we do everything from a heart filled with love for our God. Even the ordinary activities like eating, drinking and sleeping become holy.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia,
      What a perfect way to say it - life becomes a sanctuary - That's exactly it! Taking worship out of the church building and into the world. Thank you!
      Janet

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing worship with us. A beautiful place to be today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas,
      You're welcome! I agree - worship IS a beautiful place! Thank you for stopping by.
      Janet

      Delete

I know we probably haven't met in person, but I believe that the sharing of our ideas and thoughts, sometimes our hearts and souls, makes us more than strangers. I would like to say friends. Thank you for taking the time to contribute to my little space - I appreciate you.